About the Department
The Construction Technology and Management department was established in 2009 E.C academic year under Samara University College of Engineering and Technology.
Currently the Department has 104 Students; the department has 19 Academic staff, from these, 5 on study leave, 11 undergraduate and 3 are Msc Holders.
The department of Construction Technology and Management Study is dedicated to providing quality education on fields of Construction Technology and Management studies, which transfer Technology, conduction problem solving research and community service and there by producing qualified competent and ethical graduates to foster the development aspiration of the nation.
One of the top ten Universities in 2030, by satisfying the requirement the higher education of Ethiopia.
The Department of Construction Technology and Management Studies offers courses in comfortable classrooms. The Department has a well-equipped workshop laboratory for practical courses such as Building construction undertaking. It is planning to further expand the Construction Material laboratory to integrate testing Construction materials and a teaching laboratory.
The Department Head
The Department Head is selected from among the teaching staff of the department on the basis of merit and interest as soon as the college announces the vacancy for the post. The term of office of the Department Head is two years. Currently, Mr.Kasahun Tefera Alemayehu is serving as Head of the Department.
P.O. Box: 132, Samara, Ethiopia
- To training professionals required for managing constructing projects with efficient and effective management system, administer contracts,
- To conduct researches to identify real problems on site pertaining to construction management, methods & materials, and find better solutions.
- To Train Construction Technologist and Construction project Manager
- To produce well Qualified Construction Technology and management Professionals.
The profile of B.Sc. graduates of Construction Technology & Management can be summarized as follows:
- Organize resources including human, equipment and material resources and lead construction projects with efficient and effective management systems.
- Conduct researches projects, discoveries and consultancy services to identify real problems on site pertaining to construction technology, management, methods and materials, and find better solutions.
- Read, analyze and understand technical drawings and specifications.
- Conduct inspection and supervision by checking and measuring works for accuracy and fit to specification.
- Detect and identify design problems /faults/ by justifying the cause and detail requirements of adjustment or redesign and recommend measures.
- Ensure that construction projects are executed as per the design & specification.
- Adapt construction materials, equipment, machines and other technological outputs to local needs.
- Manage efficiently construction works and integrate constraints and requirements of both manpower and construction machines.
- Administer contracts, make legal agreements up hold construction codes and maintain professional ethics.
- demonstrate an appropriate mastery of the knowledge, techniques, skills and modern tools/software of construction related to: contract documents, codes in relation to construction projects, materials testing, construction layout/surveying, best construction methods/practices, estimating, scheduling, safety, design of construction systems (temporary structures, concrete, foundations, formwork, basic electrical/mechanical systems), and appropriate software.
- demonstrate an ability to conduct, analyze and interpret experiments, and apply experimental results to improve construction processes and solve construction problems.
- demonstrate an ability to apply creativity in the design of construction systems, components, and processes.
- demonstrate the ability to communicate (graphically, verbally and nonverbally) and function effectively in teams.
- demonstrate sufficient understanding of the importance of lifelong learning, continuous improvement, timeliness and a commitment to quality.
Duration of Program
The BSc. Program of construction technology and management takes five years of duration. Each year’s constitute two semesters
Students who have successfully completed the 10 plus 2 preparatory education and have secured a minimum cut-off point with high scores in Physics and Mathematics are eligible to join the regular undergraduate B.Sc. degree program of Construction Technology and Management.
Depending on available spaces, diploma graduates from TVET (Technical Vocational Education and Training) in the fields of construction technology will be admitted based on grades on competitive basis.
Applicants with a minimum cut-off point and with high scores in Physics and Mathematics in foreign countries examinations equivalent to the 10+2 preparatory program are also eligible. The equivalence is determined by the department.
Students must take and pass all the required courses to satisfy the requirements for graduation. The total number of credit points required for graduation with the Degree of Bachelor of Science in Construction Technology and Management is 309 ECTS.
After successful completion of all the requirements a student graduating from the Construction Technology and Management program will be entitled to earn a degree in:
Bachelor of Science Degree in Construction Technology and Management
የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በግንባታ ቴክኖሎጂና ሥራ አመራር
|Course Code||Course Title||Credit hrs||Lect hrs||Practical hrs||Tutorial hrs||Semister||Course Category|
|FLEn1011||Communicative English Language Skills I||5||3||0||2||I||Common course|
|Phys-1011||General Physics||5||3||0||2||I||Common Course|
|Psyc1011||General Psychology||5||3||0||2||I||Common Course|
|Math1011||Mathematics for Natural Sciences||5||3||0||2||I||Common Course|
|LoCT 1011||Critical Thinking||5||3||0||2||I||Common Course|
|SpSc1011||Physical Fitness||–||–||–||–||I||Common Course|
|GeES1011||Geography of Ethiopia and the Horn||5||3||0||2||I||Common Course|
|FLEn1012||Communicative English Language Skills II||5||3||0||2||II||Common Course|
|Anth1012||Social Anthropology||4||2||0||2||II||Common Course|
|EmTe1012||Introduction to Emerging Technologies||5||3||0||2||II||Common Course|
|Math1041||Applied Mathematics I||5||3||0||2||II||Common Course|
|MCiE1012||Moral and Civic Education||4||2||0||2||II||Common Course|
|ECEg1052||Computer Programming||5||3||0||2||II||Common Course|
|COTM 2031||Engineering Mechanics||5||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 2051||Engineering Drawing||5||3||2||0||I||Major Course|
|COTM 2053||Workshop Practice||4||1||2||1||I||Major Course|
|COTM 2061||Construction Material I||5||2||3||1||I||Major Course|
|ECON 2123||Introduction to Economics||5||3||0||2||I||Common Course|
|ACCT 2123||Principles of Accounting||5||3||0||2||I||Common Course|
|Mgmt2121||Introduction to Management||4||3||0||1||I||Common Course|
|COTM 2012||Strength of Materials||5||3||0||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 2062||Construction Material II||5||2||3||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 2072||Building Construction I||5||2||3||1||II||Major Course|
|COTM 2082||Computer Aided Drafting and Data Analysis||4||2||1||1||II||Major Course|
|COTM 2084||Construction Drafting and Working Drawing||5||2||2||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 2132||Hydraulics||5||3||2||0||II||Major Course|
|COTM 2151||Principles of Construction Management||4||3||0||1||II||Major Course|
|COTM 3071||Building Construction II||5||2||3||1||I||Major Course|
|COTM 3101||Theory of Structures||5||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 3131||Water Supply and Treatment||4||3||2||0||I||Major Course|
|COTM 3171||Soil Mechanics||6||3||3||1||I||Major Course|
|COTM 3181||Surveying||6||2||3||1||I||Major Course|
|COTM 3241||Probability & Statistics||4||2||0||2||I||Common Course|
|COTM 3192||Highway Engineering I||5||3||2||1||II||Major Course|
|COTM 3172||Foundation Engineering||5||3||0||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 3112||Design of Reinforced Concrete Structures||5||3||0||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 3094||Architectural Planning and Design||5||3||0||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 3201||Construction Specification and Quantity Surveying||6||3||2||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 3141||Sewage Disposal & Treatment||5||3||2||1||II||Major Course|
|COTM 4163||Construction Equipment and Plant Management||4||3||0||1||I||Major Course|
|COTM 4211||Construction Planning & Scheduling**||5||2||2||1||I||Major Course|
|COTM 4141||Cost Engineering||5||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 4142||Design and Construction of Water Works||5||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 4191||Highway Engineering II||5||3||2||0||I||Major Course|
|COTM 4162||Financial Management in Construction||5||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 3222||Construction Site Supervision||4||1||3||0||I||Major Course|
|COTM 5161||Human Resource Management||5||3||0||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 4242||Technical Report Writing & Research Methods||4||2||0||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 4222||Construction health and safety Management||4||3||0||1||II||Major Course|
|COTM 4251||Internship||12||0||12||0||II||Major Course|
|COTM 5112||Design of Steel and Timber Structures||5||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 5291||Holistic Project and Introduction to Engineering Profession||6||1||5||0||I||Major Course|
|COTM 5191||Bridge and Tunnel Construction||4||2||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 5262||Development and construction Economics||5||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 5164||Construction Performance & Resource Optimization||4||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 5232||Construction Law||5||3||0||2||I||Major Course|
|COTM 5274||Modern Construction Technology and BIM||5||3||0||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 5232||Procurement Management & Contract Management||5||3||0||2||II||Major Course|
|COTM 5292||BSc. Research||8||1||6||1||II||Major Course|
|Global Trends||4||2||0||2||II||Common Course|
|Incl 1012||Inclusiveness||4||2||0||2||II||Common Course|