The primary objective of the program is to produce a high quality graduate with an entrepreneurial and problem-solving mindset. The specific objectives of the program are:
- Educating and training students for the very dynamic and rapidly changing science and technology market.
- Develop Computer Science concepts and definitions, and to extend and generalize them to new situations.
- Provide an in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles and techniques of Computer Science.
- Educating and training students to become life-long learners by providing them with a sound base in computer science, basic sciences as well as general education.
- Make students understand the connections between Computer Science and other disciplines, and being able to recognize Computer Science ideas embedded in other contexts.
- Develop the fundamental concepts of Computer Science modeling and how to apply Computer Science to real-world situations.
- Motivating students to become innovators who can respond very positively to the challenges and opportunities presented by new ideas and technologies.
The graduate will have the following knowledge, skill and attitude at the end of the program.
A) Cognitive knowledge skill
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories relating to computer science.
- Use such knowledge and understanding in the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices.
- Identify and analyze criteria and specifications appropriate to specific problems, and plan strategies for their solution.
- Analyze the extent to which a computer-based system meets the criteria defined for its current use and future development.
- Deploy appropriate theory, practices, and tools for the specification, design, implementation, and evaluation of computer-based systems.
B) Practical skills
- Specify, design, and implement computer-based systems.
- Apply the principles of human-computer interaction to the evaluation and construction of a wide range of materials including user interfaces, web pages, and multimedia systems.
- Deploy effectively the tools used for the construction and documentation of software, with particular emphasis on understanding the whole process involved in using computers to solve practical problems.
- Use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary to maintain and administer computer based systems.
- Apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices.
C) Attitude (Transferable skill)
- Make succinct presentations to a range of audiences about technical problems and their solutions.
- Be able to work effectively as a member of a development team.
- Understand and explain the quantitative dimensions of a problem
- Manage one’s own learning and development, including time management and organizational skills
- Keep abreast of current developments in the discipline to continue one’s own professional development.
- Recognize and be guided by the social, professional, and ethical issues involved in the use of computer technology.
For any program (regular, Extension), it depends on the requirements set by the ministry of education for higher education enrolment. The following requirement is set as selection criteria to join the Department of Computer Science in the degree program.
- Students who successfully completed the preparatory program and pass the entrance exam that could be prepared by Ministry of Education and meet the minimum requirement needed.
Every candidate for B.Sc. degree in Computer Science must fulfill the following requirements for graduation:
- Minimum cumulative Grade Point Requirement for graduation is 2.00.
- Students will eligible for graduation upon successful completion of major, elective, supportive and common courses with their respective total ECTS, Cr. Hrs, and number of courses for graduation with the Degree of Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- No “F”, NG (No grade),”I” (incomplete) grades of any Course will be accepted.
- In English: Bachelor of Science(B.Sc.) Degree in Computer Science
- In Amharic: የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በኮምፒውተር ሳይንስ