- To train high level technical manpower which can participate in the national development activities;
- To carry out research in the areas of electrical and computer engineering and relevant to the needs of the Country;
- To render consultancy services to the community.
- To train electrical and computer engineers.
- To prepare graduates with the capability of following the current and future developments in the field and related applications.
The following streams (focus areas) of Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECEG) are identified as very important for the development of the country.
I. Electrical Engineer with Communication Engineering Focus
- Design and test electronic circuits.
- Design and maximize the utilization of communication network efficiently and with the least possible delay and adequate quality.
- Able to carry out research in the area of system design/networking and bring solution in operational settings.
- Able to solve problems in intensive signal processing and routing of information packets.
II. Electrical Engineer with Electrical Power Engineering Focus
- Plan, design, analyze, develop, operate, control and maintain of electrical power plants (thermal, hydro, renewable), power apparatus and protection system.
- Plan, design, analyze and develop power transmission and distribution system.
- Design, analysis, construction, installation, control, operation and maintenance of electrical machines, power electronic devices and drives.
III. Electrical Engineer with Computer Engineering Focus
- Design, develop, analyze and test the hardware and software for systems applicable to any industries, business, hospitals, institutions and offices.
- Install, operate and maintain computer systems.
- Work as a computer hardware engineer, software engineer, system analyst, data communication analyst, computer network engineer, database analyst, data administrator, network administrator, information systems quality assurance analyst, information system consultant, system tester, system security analyst, customer support analyst, system auditor, computer service engineer, web designer, webmaster, interactive media developer.
IV. Electrical Engineer with Industrial Control Engineering Focus
- Design, develop and analyze of control and instrumentation system applied for monitoring, data acquisition and data analysis of electrical and non-electrical systems including digital, analogue, robust and higher order controllers.
- Plan, produce, install, implement, operate and maintain the control and instrumentation systems.
Duration of the Program
This newly revised of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECEG) degree program is a 5-year program, including industry internship semester, which prepares graduates for careers as professional engineers in such areas as Communication, Electrical Power, Computer and Industrial Control Engineering.
Students who have successfully completed the 10 plus 2 years preparatory secondary education and have secured a minimum cutoff point with high scores in Physics and Mathematics are eligible to join the regular undergraduate B.Sc. degree program in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Depending on available spaces, diploma graduates from TVET (Technical Vocational Education and Training) in the fields of Electrical and Computer Engineering will be admitted based on grades on competitive basis.
Applicants with a minimum cutoff point and with high scores in Physics and Mathematics in foreign countries examinations equivalent to the 10+2 preparatory program are also eligible. The equivalence is determined by department.
Students must take and pass all the required courses to satisfy the requirements for graduation. The total number of credit points required for graduation with the Degree of Bachelor of Science in all the four focus areas of Electrical and Computer Engineering is 300 ECTS (158credit hours), including the 30 ECTS mandatory internship (industry placement). Besides the total credit hour required for graduation student’s
- overall cumulative grade point average (CGPA),
- CGPA for the core electrical engineering courses, and
- CGPA for focus area courses must each be at least 2.0 for successful completion.
After successful completion of all the requirements a student graduating from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering will be entitled to earn a degree with the following nomenclatures.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Communications Engineering)
የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በኤሌትሪካል እና ኮምፒዩተር ምህንድስና(ኮምዩኒኬሽን ምህንድስና)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Electrical Power Engineering)
የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በኤሌትሪካል እና ኮምፒዩተር ምህንድስና (ኤሌክትሪካል ፓወር ምህንድስና)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Computer Engineering)
የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በኤሌትሪካል እና ኮምፒዩተርምህንድስና (ኮምፕዩተር ምህንድስና)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Industrial Control Engineering)
የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በኤሌትሪካል እና ኮምፒዩተርምህንድስና (ኢንዱስትሪያል ኮንትሮል ምህንድስና)