About the Department
Department of Health Informatics started to offer courses and enroll students since 2020. Initially the department was offering an undergraduate program of Generic Health Informatics and now planned to provide post basic health informatics program.
Ethiopia, with the aim of digitization and information revolution, Health Sector Transformation Plan and Sustainable Development Goal, several interventions, including the implementation of new systems like DHIS-2 to handle data and promote evidence-based decision making, and advocacy of Performance Monitoring Teams in HCs, hospitals, and in tertiary hospitals have been carried out across the different levels of the health system. This revolution in health sector demands specially trained health informatics professionals to function as Health Informatics practitioners.
However; across the country, there is scarcity of human resource in the field to effectively manage the task and trans form the health care. Improving pre-service education is likely to be more sustainable than in-service training and will eventually reduce the need for in-service training activities. Therefore, strengthening the health informatics component in the pre-service education of healthcare providers is of paramount importance.
- To produce competent professional Health Informatics who are able to provide culturally sensitive high quality comprehensive neonatal care at all levels of health care system to reduce neonatal morbidity and mortality.
The objective of the Bachelor of Science degree in Health informatics program is to equip graduates with the knowledge, skills, and attitude to:
- Produce equipped professionals who can develop, manage and lead Health information management systems.
- Evaluate the opportunities and limitations of health care technology and of its impact in improving the efficiency, cost- effectiveness, safety and quality of health care delivery.
- Design and implement informatics methods and tools to support education, and use of relevant educational technologies.
- Undertake project work in such a way that it is planned, implemented and interpreted with due regard for evidence, appropriate modes of enquiry and the communication of its outcomes
- Produce health informaticians who can identify priority health needs of the health system.
- Produce health informaticians who behave according to ethical and legal principles.
- To produce health informaticians to become health leaders, communicators and educators
- Produce evidence-based health informatics practitioner and researcher.
- Produce health informaticians who can practice inter-professional collaborative health service.
- Inculcate in health informatics the ability for lifelong learning/ continuous professional development.
The Department of Health Informatics offers courses in classrooms that it shares with other departments of the College of Medical and health sciences. Furthermore, the Department has a on progress to establish computer laboratory for practical courses such as Networking and programing and digital health Applied health informatics undertaking. It is planning to further expand the laboratory to integrate computer and health informatics practice and a teaching laboratory.
The Department Head is selected from among the teaching staff of the department on the basis of merit and interest as soon as the college announces the vacancy for the post. The term of office of the Department Head is two years.
Currently, Mr. Ismael Adem is serving as Head of the Department.
- Contact Address:
- Mobile: +251-993-451-364
- P.O. Box: 132, Semera, Afar, Ethiopia.