About the department
The Department of Mathematics was established in 2007 under Faculty of Education. The Department started offering undergraduate degree program in Mathematics education since 2007, and applied Mathematics since 2009. To date, the Department has produced a lot of competent mathematicians, a great many of whom are currently serving in various higher learning institutions in the country and other institutions. Currently, the academic staff profile of the department encompasses 27 mathematicians whose academic level ranges from senior lecturers to assistant professors.
Currently, the department of Mathematics is running undergraduate program in the regular program. Moreover, the department is on the way to launch master’s degree program in Differential Equations. Mathematics graduates work in both the teaching and non-teaching professions and contribute significantly to the socio-economic development of the country.
- The mission of the department is to produce competent graduates for the development of the nation.
- To be one of the academic excellence of Samara University.
The general objective of this program is to train qualified, adaptable, motivated, and responsible Mathematicians who will contribute to the scientific and technological development of Ethiopia.
The specific objectives of the program are to:
- Provide an in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles and techniques of Mathematics.
- Develop mathematical concepts and definitions, and to extend and generalize them to new situations.
- Progress Mathematical thinking, reasoning and an appreciation of Mathematics as a primary language of science.
- Make students understand the connections between mathematics and other disciplines, and being able to recognize mathematical ideas embedded in other contexts.
- Develop the fundamental concepts of mathematical modeling and how to apply mathematics to real-world situations.
- Increase basic computer and programming skills and applying them to simulation and visualization of mathematical models.
Admission to the program shall be based on completion of the preparatory secondary education and obtaining the necessary pass mark in Ethiopian Higher Education Entrance Certificate Examination and the equivalence established by the Ministry/Higher Education Relevance and Quality Ethiopian Higher Education Entrance Certificate Examination Assurance Agency for foreign students.
For second year and above, and other applicants holding diploma (regular advanced), evening, distance (if any) and summer programs, admission will be provided if an applicant meets the minimum requirements set by each universities.
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction for the B.Sc. degree program in Mathematics is English.
- Name of Department Head: Ahmed Arab
- Contact no.:+251 920000769
- Email Id:email@example.com