History and Background of legal Service Directorate
Samara University is one of the Ethiopian federal universities built among a group of 2nd generation Universities. It is found in the Afar Regional State Samara town. The University is designed to be a center of learning and research, especially on the three centers of excellences dry land agriculture, geology/mining and tourism. To these end the University has wide range of academic programs and administrative offices to meet the growing demand of trained manpower of the region and the country. Among these, Samara University legal service directorate is one of support offices under the office of president. Samara university legal service directorate established at 2000 E.C under the President office.
It aims at rending the highest quality legal service in a responsible, thoughtful, and timely manner in order to promote the mission of the university. The office is responsible for providing legal advice and representing the university and all its colleges, schools, departments, centers and directorates on broad range of legal issues affecting the university. Specifically the legal service directorate has duties and responsible to:-
- Provide oral and written legal advice to decision makers and administrators on legal issues affecting the university,
- Represent the university in litigation before all courts and tribunals including administrative and regulatory hearings,
- Oversee the university’s compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies,
- Coordinate the development of university policies and procedures,
- Negotiate, draft and review legal documents for the purpose of enhancing and protecting the university’s interests,
- Use alternative dispute resolution mechanisms to resolve of facilitate the resolution of disputes or potential disputes between the university and 3rd parties,
- Identify and advise the university on matters related to new or amended legislations which may impact university policies and practices,
- Provide training on relevant legal topics affecting the university.
The Former directors of the office were Mr Nuruye Beyan, Mr Masud Gebeyehu, Mr,Nuru Mokria, Mr, Mussa Abdu, Mr, Pawlos Taddese.
- Protecting the legal interests of the university and ensuring enforcement of law
- Ensuring the rule of law in the university